This page provides information to Canadians about how to compare
health insurance plans and costs.
Before settling on a health insurance plan, you should compare and contrast
a benefits summary or an outline of coverage. This should
include the description of policy benefits, exclusions, and provisions.
These details will help you better understand the insurance policies of
the plan and will make it easier for you to compare different policies.
Use the following Health Insurance Checklist as a guideline when choosing
and comparing health insurance plans. Check for the following covered
- Outpatient surgery
- In-hospital physician visits
- Medical tests and X-rays
- Prescription drugs
- Mental health care
- Home health care visits
- Rehabilitation facility care
- Physical therapy
- Speech therapy
- Hospice care
- Maternity care
- Chiropractic treatment
- Preventive care and checkups
- Dental care
You can also ask each company the following questions to make sure that
you are getting the best coverage possible:
- Are there any medical service limits, exclusions, or pre-existing
conditions that will affect you or your family?
- What types of utilization review, pre authorization, or certification
procedures are included?
- How much is the premium?
- How much is the annual deductible per person and per family?
- What co-insurance or co-payments apply?