This page provides information to Canadians about enhanced health insurance
Enhanced health insurance plans are beneficial because they offer
a greater percentage of coverage over basic health care needs. Many enhanced
plans also cover a greater range of dental, vision, prescription, and
accidental health care.
Most enhanced health insurance plans will cover anywhere from 60%
to 90% of your health care fees. This, of course, is dependent on
the supplemental health insurance company you choose, and the annual amount
that you contribute to it.
Once again, the following list is not a reflection of all plans offering
health insurance—details may vary for individual companies.
- Dental coverage is for fillings, cleanings, scalings, examinations,
polishing and certain extractions
- Recall visits about every 6 months
- Covers oral surgery, periodontics, root canals, orthodontics, crowns,
bridges, and dentures.
- Coverage is designed to concur with your current provincial Dental
Association Fee Guide for General Practitioners.
- Offers coverage for the cost of prescription lenses, frames, contact
lenses and laser eye surgery
- Contributes towards cost of optometrist fees
- Eyeglasses are covered against breakage and scratches
Extended Health Care
Extended health care plans usually offer an average $100,000 lifetime coverage maximum.
The following is a list of what most enhanced supplemental health insurance
plans will cover:
- Chiropractor, Chiropodist, Osteopath, Naturopath, Podiatrist, Registered
Massage Therapist, Acupuncturist, Physiotherapist
- Psychologist or approved social worker
- Homecare and nursing, prosthetic appliances, durable medical equipment
- Speech pathologist/therapist
- Accidental dental
- Unlimited ground transportation to hospital by ambulance and partial
coverage for air ambulance transportation
- Hearing aid
- Offers an average of $1 million emergency health coverage for
trips lasting a maximum of 8 to 10 days
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Adult under 65: up to $25,000 for accidental death or dismemberment
- Adult over 65 or a child: up to $10,000 for accidental death